Thursday, February 12, 2009

Scruffy Angel Painting



This piece has two collages under it. :) Yesterday, I had lunch with a friend and then came home and painted the afternoon away. I love it when I can just get lost in a painting.

This already had a lot of layers of paint and collage. I added some more paint and then scratched it up with some metal wire to add even more texture. Then I just started painting and this is what happened. The wings are the old hymn "Angels We Have Heard on High."

I like his boyishness. He reminds me of my two guys. I loved doing this painting. He makes me happy.

The words are from an obscure poetry book I picked up at Goodwill. The poems are by John Hartmann. These words were sort of just by themselves on the side of a page and they were very striking to me. "The only reason I tremble is because I know." This could mean so many things. Is he an angel boy in love? Does he tremble in awe because he knows what we can only makes guesses at? Does he tremble because he fully understands the beautiful mystery of life?

I don't know. But the questions are interesting.

7 comments:

Flor Larios Art said...

I like your angel boy! I always paint angels girls. You can see them at my blog.

Flor

Pam Aries said...

Lisa...very cool! I love the look of this piece. Isn't is satisfying to get lost in a painting.

KaiBlue said...

Aloha Lisa,
They colours are gorgeous on this sweet angel.. I like the words from the poem too..
Thanks for sharing!
PEace, Kai

Shell said...

A beautiful Angel boy!! I think he trembles because he understands the beautiful mystery of life. To know everything would be weighty and awe inspiring.

Natalie said...

It's great, Lisa. I like the boy!

J C said...

Very very nice Lisa. Every time you paint with your heart, your spirit shines through. GBY. xoxoxo

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much for following my blog.
Love your blog and all your wonderful photo's and art!