Friday, June 18, 2010

It Takes a Village


I've had this mirror forever. I think the first time I ever used crackle paint was on this frame and I loved the look at the time. But it is time for a change.
So, I took it outside and painted it this bright turquoise! Excuse my houseplants. It had rained earlier that day and I put them out to enjoy it. I think the turquoise looks great on the mirror and just a few months ago it would have found a perfect place in my home. But oddly enough, my tastes have changed so much, it just didn't fit in anywhere. It is the perfect size and shape for a spot in the bathroom and I've wanted a mirror in there, since there are no windows for light.

I hung it in there for a bit but, as much as I like the color, it just bugged me.
So, I painted it again. I mixed some pewter with mocha java and got this rich, delicious brown.
I love it! I love it so much that it inspired me to keep working (playing) in the bathroom.
I found this in my storage the other day but it had a portrait drawing of someone. I remember buying the picture at a yard sale and liking it a lot. Now, not so much. So I slipped the portrait out and slipped in this page from an old Country Living.
And then I gathered things from around the house.
These are two of the Warren Kimble prints I was talking about. I just love them and now that we have a claw foot tub...even better!
A little vignette, totally stolen from inspired by Mamie Jane.
The flower is from the butterfly bush that you see in my header plus some sage.

It takes a village to decorate our apartment.

A village of bloggers with inspiring ideas.

10 comments:

Gina said...

Love the brown! The turquoise was jarring. I never used to be big on brown, but I've been noticing nuances and a richness that I didn't see before. Funny thing about turquoise - I like the color but not in house furnishings. Must be that 50's reminder or something.

judie said...

You have done a great decorating job Ms. Froggy. xoxo

D.Suplicki said...

It looks great! My bathroom is one of the least decorated rooms in my apartment. Perhaps I should spruce it up one of these days.

MissKoolAid said...

Isn't it wonderful how a little paint can completely change something old? Your mirror looks great in brown.
I love your little vignettes. They are always fun and inspiring.
Hugs,
Sophie

Jane said...

Your bathroom looks great! I love the mirror painted brown. Imagine my surprise when I was reading your post and saw my name...thank you so much, I was very flattered!! And speaking of being inspired...I love the picture from the old Country Living magazine that you hung in the bathroom. I have several old doilies and I love the idea of displaying them by stacking them on a cake plate. Thanks for inspiring me.
Jane

Dot said...

You are such a lovely home maker Lisa. Love seeing spots in your home. I think the mocha color you painted the frame on your mirror is grounding and gorgeous (just like you).
Dot xx

MarZel said...

I like the perspective. It does take a village and the inspiration from lots of brains... isnt it magical?

Healing Woman said...

Another really great post. Love the title too. You are in Grandin village and I thought this post was going to lead to a bunch of your neighbors coming over and helping!!!! They actually did in a way since you revamped the bathroom by buying and borrowing items from others. Love the way your bathroom turned out..

Laura said...

lovely lisa!

ALVN of WhisperWood Cottage and Junkologie said...

I like the idea of framing the magazine page!