Sunday, June 28, 2009

A Couple of Full Days


Yesterday we had a booth for Healing Through Creativity at our neighborhood Farmer's Market. Our local co-op gave away a bike and the proceeds went to HTC. There is also a wonderful guy who owns Star City Coffee who chooses a different non-profit each week. He gives away cups of coffee (though donations are welcome) and also sells bags of beans, whole or ground, and a portion goes to the non-profit. This week HTC was his non-profit. It was awesome. Patrick Beale, pictured above in the yellow shirt, made lemonade for us to give away as well (also encouraging donations) and that was great because it was a super hot day.

We got to meet George Robertson, founder of HTC, and his lovely wife. Very kind people. I felt I'd known George for years. We also met Touchdown Tommy Edwards, the found of the Heart of VA Foundation. I was a bit starstruck. :) I've been reading a lot about him since researching the H of VA Foundation and he's quite an amazing guy. It was a real pleasure to be having a meeting with the two of them. Then we were joined by another gentleman who calls himself "Owl" and he was very interesting and entertaining. I think helping to plan this festival is going to be a whole new world for me. Tommy has an office at Grandin Gardens and has offered the space to me for planning and for meetings, etc. Sometimes life unfolds in the most wonderfully amusing way. I couldn't have even thought to ask for that but how perfect!

Above are George, Tommy and Patrick Beale. Patrick is another wonderful man. He quietly plans and works behind the scenes. He put the bike raffle together, he does set up and take down for the market and works as a massage therapist. Here he and George are fixing the speakers when Tommy first starts singing. Tommy is a great blues guy. If you do some research on him, you'll find lots about his past, his ties to VTech, how the tragedy there inspired him to move back to VA and start this foundation and more.

I got to meet his girlfriend, too. She was awesome. I feel very blessed to be meeting so many great people who are lead by their hearts to make a difference.










These photos are from Nick's bday! We went to Mojo café. Nick practically lives there. They brought him a brownie with whipped cream and strawberries and a candle, singing happy birthday. Why no pictures, you say? Because I thought I was recording it but when I pushed the button to stop recording, it started. grrr. I missed the whole dang thing.


Nick and his momma.

Nick and Mike.

Mike. You have to catch him by surprise to get a pic without a thumbs up. :)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it! Thanks for sharing with us Lisa! It's so hard to start your own foundation. Even harder if you try it on your own. Did you happen to ask him how he started it? Anyway, I'm glad that you had a good time. :)
*HUGS*
Angela

Marie said...

Lisa,

Thanks for sharing this with us! I can't wait to meet all of these people when I come to VA for the festival.

I too am glad I got involved with HTC!