Monday, May 12, 2008

One

I hope everyone had a wonderful Mother's Day. I did. My kids showed me lots of love. :)

Being a parent is a wonderful thing. I think the hardest part of it, though, is watching them go through heartbreaks that you can do nothing about.

Nick's girlfriend broke up with him. He loves her and misses her. He knows he can't wallow, yet, well you know how that hollow feeling in your heart is. I thought he captured it well when he said, "When people tell me I'm better off without her, it's like they're telling me I'm better off without my arm." When they're babies, you can kiss it and make it better. When they're 19, all you can do is let them know you're there but it's a precarious position of being there, yet not hovering.

I do know that the best thing I can do for him is to keep happy, loving thoughts in my mind. That is the best we can do for anyone, for ourselves, for the planet, for mankind. So that is what I do. I build my "happy mind" like one would build muscles in the gym. I monitor my thinking all day long and alter it when necessary. Reframing thoughts. Recognizing negative reactions, forgiving myself for them and shedding them and moving on to positive and constructive feelings.

I worked on this painting all weekend. I almost painted over it at one point but I kept going, trusting the creative and intuitive process until finally it took on its own life.

It represents where I am spiritually, at the moment. I am a fickle being in spirituality and art. Most of the symbols represent union or unity. Some represent the all-knowing Source of All That Is, God, the Universe, Goddess...whatever you call that unfathomable yet palpable presence. I am grateful to be one with God and with every one and every thing. We are all connected. We are not alone.

I love you.

11 comments:

Janet said...

I'm glad you kept going with this painting. It's awesome! So sorry about Nick and his girlfriend. As a parent it's very hard to watch our kids go through heartbreak but it's also part of the growing/learning process. You're there for him and that's the important thing.

I hope you had a Mother's Day as special as you are.

Flassie's Fil'a said...

{{{Feel for Nick}}}

Awesome painting Lisa!
Love the Colors!

Keep You and Your Dad
in My Prayers!!!

God Bless Your Health
and the Health of Your
Loved Ones and Your
Creative Life!!!

{{{Hugs Lisa}}}

GreenishLady said...

Oh, yes, I've been there for those heartbreaks. They're harder to bear than our own, I think... because we can't fix it. I had a Mum at my kitchen table tonight in such a state about how to fix things for her daughter whose boyfriend just broke up with her. Really hard place to be. Your happy thoughts probably are the best thing that can be done.

Love the painting. I too am glad you stayed with it. Great energy in it.

PennyBlue said...

It's hard seeing your child ache. You don't just SEE it you FEEL it. Hugs to Nick. I LOVE the painting. Happy Tuesday!

Flassie's Fil'a said...

{{{HUGS LISA}}}

Seen you needed
some Hugs while
visiting Suziblu!

You've got talent!

Stick with it!

God Bless Your Creative Life!!!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful painting froggy!!! I can only imagine how hard it is as a parent. To see your child going through that must be hard but I sure wish that all the mothers out there did the same thing as you. Letting your children grow up is the greatest gift a mother can give.:) Sometimes holding them back can hurt them.
Thanks for sharing with us Froggy and sorry that I haven't been here. My computer has been down.
*HUGS*

Lisa said...

Thanks Janet!

Thanks for the extra hugs Flassie! I'm having a pity party for myself today. lol

Thanks so much Imelda!

Darcy, that's so true about how we FEEL it. It hurts more than our own stuff, doesn't it? Thanks for the painting comments. :)

Angela, it's so good to see you! I miss you when you aren't around. You always lift my spirits. I hope you're back in the full swing of "internetting" real soon. xoxoox

Anonymous said...

Ah..love...a mother's love..May Nick travel through this time with the lessons he was meant to learn...may your spirit open to you more each day..and may we all be aware to be a little more gentle with the hearts that we do touch...

Anonymous said...

The imagery and colors in your painting capture the hope and bouyancy of your spirit. I'm so glad you kept going; it's just beautiful!

As the mother of two sons, 19 and 26, I know exactly how you feel. Just because they tower over you and have whiskers doesn't mean you ever stop fighting the urge to scoop them up, kiss them, and make it better!

Pam Aries said...

Love the painting! Hi ! I a mstill here. Love ya!

Anonymous said...

Lisa,
This painting is awesome! The colors a alive! The energy of it is confident, bold and ready! I love it..and glad you stuck with it.