Tuesday, February 20, 2007

Gifts

Removed fairie I removed the little fairie. I like it better.

Well, this was quite a departure for me and quite a surprise. It all started yesterday when I went to Michael's craft store. I had 50% off coupon and I wanted to get something really fun. I was about to give up when I decided to stop and look at the books. There was Claudine Hellmuth's Collage Discovery Workshop. I opened it and had to have it. She not only shows you pretty pictures, she gives you step-by-step instructions on how to do things. She gives you a list of things you might want or need to have on hand, yet is constantly saying "but you don't HAVE to do it this way." I love her conversational tone throughout the entire thing. Ok, anyway, I'd seen somewhere that someone had done some ATCs with crayon and from the looks of it I figured they must be melting them. I saw the technique in Claudine's book and immediately bought myself a box of crayons and a little teeny iron. I played some last night and really enjoyed it.

Before I went to bed,I decided to cover up an old collage I've never liked much. I wanted to try out another toy, crackle medium, so I painted over the collage with black, let it dry (with some help from my NEW heatgun....oh I had such a fun shopping time yesterday lol), then put on the crackling medium and let it dry...then red paint (more red than the orange of this photo). This morning I got it down and stared at it for a while. I turned it a few different ways and stared some more. THen I took the boys to school. Came home and stared some more. hehe

Eventually I was smearing some wax when this horse face was suddenly looking at me, so I went with it. I'm not too sure about that fairy. I started to add a little girl and she sprouted wings. (sigh) I may have to melt her off and do something else. Edited to add: I have since melted her off and put up a new picture.

The most amazing thing is...I did this mostly with my right hand because I was holding the crayons in my left hand to press them into the iron. I am left-handed. Almost every time I put the iron in my left hand, I ended up messing something up.

If you enjoy collage or think you might, I highly recommend Claudine's book. She did not show how to paint pictures with wax. She used it to age things or to make stamp impressions. I just sort of went wild with it.

I do intend to use it her way later. I can't wait.

I also bought some gel transfer medium. I can't wait to try that!

Life is so fun. You just never know what is around the next corner.

Oh Sammy, you asked what the little butterfly thing was made of. I did it with cheap acrylic paints on canvas board (5"x7"). While the paint was still wet I used a swirly stamp to make a pattern (removing the pink paint). When it was dry, I stamped a butterfly on the canvas and then cut wings from catalog pictures and glued them on. I saw a man....can't remember his name...on..oh dear.. LOL that sweet woman on HGTV and DIY that does crafts. I've watched her for 15 years and can't think of her name right now. The man did the same thing I just described but then used embossing powder and a heat gun on them and made cards. They were beautiful. I didn't have either of those things so I just glued glitter around the edges. Glitter always saves the day. hehe
I stamped "all aflutter" on there with alphabet stamps.

13 comments:

Kitty Couture said...

Wow! That horse is stunning. Way to go, Lisa! You were definitely inspired. I'm impressed.
The fairy is cute on its own, but I'm not sure its style fits in with the rest. Know what I mean?
Life is definitely fun! :)

Mrs. Goodneedle said...

Your enthusiasm and creative spirit are soaring! Go with it, enjoy every minute of the ride.

Daisy Lupin said...

Sounds like you are really having fun after your shopping expedition. Nothing like shopping for crafty items.

KaiBlue said...

thats awesome..and AMen to your comment, "Glitter always saves the day!!" lol..
Peace, Kai.

A bird in the hand said...

You talk about a very important thing: Having FUN first and foremost, trying new things, being fearless. I briefly met Claudine Hellmuth years ago and bought her book when it first came out. It's exactly as you said. I like her because, despite her fame, she is a very down-to-earth person and remains approachable.

Anonymous said...

Oh yes I see the horse, I didn't see it on first inspection I was too busy trying to see the fairy! Looks great.

Janet said...

Wow! I love that horse! It's just amazing....the colors have such depth. I guess now I'm gonna have to buy some new crayons and a teeny iron! That just sounds like a whole lot of fun.

J C said...

Loving your horse Lisa. It's wonderful!

Dot said...

This is amazing Lisa! Beautiful work. And it sounds like you had so much fun making it. Melting crayons sounds like so much fun :)

I have both of Claudine Hellmuth's books and have used them heaps. She explains things so well!

JoyceAnn said...

Lisa , It's a wonderful piece of art work.Glad you're blogging again.

Lisa Oceandreamer Swifka said...

I can feel your exuberance and creative energy all the way here. It's such a great feeling to have new supplies to try and new techniques and just be free! I have Claudine's book as well. Wasn't that a happy accident with the horse emerging!
XOXO

Tinker said...

Very cool, Lisa! It's so much fun to try experimenting with new techniques and art supplies. I like to use crayon shavings sometimes and iron them on (with wax paper between the iron and the shavings. Just thought I'd throw that out there in case you might want to try that too. I hope this comment takes...

Melissa said...

You are too funny - playing is such great fun...the drippy effect reminds me of - never mind...it would take to long to explain I really ought to get off.

But - in answer to your question - the block that C's school pic is on is just that 'a block.' I bought a box of 90 architectural blocks at the thrift store when the MIL was here...I've made another little wall hangy thing that I will try to photograph sometime too plus I have some other ideas...