Tuesday, September 26, 2006

My Pleasure


My Pleasure
Originally uploaded by GroggyFroggy.
The assignment for Mixed Media Memoirs this week was "My Pleasures." I'm not sure why, but it has always been so for me that voicing pleasure, expressing pleasure makes the pleasure sweeter.

I wonder why we yearn so to have others know just what it is that we love. If you know what I love, then you understand who I am, maybe.

I try to remember this with my boys. When they want me to listen to their music, they aren't just saying "hey Mom check this out." They're saying, "Mom, this is what I love right now...this is who I am..listen!!" I don't have to like everything they like. What they want is acknowledgment ..a little nod to their heart, mind and soul..that I understand them a little better, know them a little deeper. This is true with many things that they bring to my attention.

Perhaps this is why religion often plays itself out in hateful ways. From the "bless her heart" gossip to full blown war. When we talk about the Creator and Sustainer, no matter our religion or what we call that Creator and Sustainer, we are discussing something that is fundamental to who we are and what we believe. We are human, however, and when our beliefs are dismissed then we feel dismissed. Sometimes we dismiss others quickly before they can dismiss us. We work so hard to prove that what we have, what we believe is so much more worthy and right than what someone else has or believes. We work so hard for something that is not even attainable through work. It's a gift. It's part of us. If we stop chasing the Divine; just stop and breathe, we find that we are completely wrapped up in the Divine. We can't escape it even if we try. It's like a fish swimming in circles, wearing itself out searching for water...and then being angry with the water for not being found...and being angry with other fish who are just enjoying being soaked.

Well, I just wanted to post my little picture. Don't know where all that came from. Self-therapy, I reckon. I'm a little overwhelmed at the moment. I thought my days of feeling spiritually connected were gone. I had resigned myself to a life of "kinda sorta." Now here I am feeling full to the brim. It is grace. I didn't see it coming. I am thankful.

14 comments:

Kitty Couture said...

Hello Lisa, I am glad to read you are feeling more serene and "content". Your collage is lovely. Hope you have a wonderful day!! It is 2 pm in France but the sun has only just showed up! :) So it feels more like the morning than the afternoon, just like where *you* are! Take care :)

Lisa said...

Hi Isabelle! Thank you. It's nice to share a moment of the day together. I hope the sun shines nice and bright for you for the rest of the day.

Isabella in the 21st Century said...

I understand everything you're saying. We so often forget about God's grace, the simple pleasures He gives us, that the world becomes so-so or worse, threatening. The collage is bright and cheery, I like the fact that your entering a period of renewal in Autumn....I'm sure there's significance in that...but I'm not clever enough to work out what that significance is!lol!

Lisa said...

lol Plainandsimple, I know that you are absolutely clever! You tickle me, though. :) I love that you phrased it, "entering a period of renewal."

gma said...

Lisa, If more people were gentle, open and tolerant of others views and beliefs...there would be less
war. I have found many people here in blogland that are supportive regardless of differing views.
Sending you peace and love.
Love your collage...it's awesome!

A said...

That collage is so pretty!

Lisa said...

Gemma, I'm happy to say I've found people like that, too...like you, for instance. :) Thanks!

Anna, thanks. I always enjoy looking at your blog..so pretty.

Emma said...

The happiness in your posts is so uplifting, Lisa! I think I am still swimming in circles, but it's nice to catch a glimpse of a joyfully soaked fish ;)

Hulda said...

pretty collages and the doll was nice too. :o)

Anonymous said...

I loved your rant :) and your pleasurable Mixed Media Memoir page, too.

You hit the nail on the head about your boys and their music - I believe that is so true, they just want us to really see what represents their feelings, their real THEM.

I also really liked your analogy about the fish and water. Too true!

Lisa said...

Emma, I'm glad it's uplifting to you. I think we all swim in circles from time to time. There seems to be a cycle. I'm just enjoying where I am at the moment. :)

Thanks Hulda, I made another doll today. I think I'll give it to a friend of mine that I'll see tomorrow.

Tinker, teehee I went on a bit, didn't I? Thanks for the comment on the boys and their music. It's good to know someone else sees it that way.

Miss Robyn said...

YOU, miss*Lisa, are a gem. these words hit my heart. love ya xo

Melissa said...

So glad to meet you...I just found your blog tracking back through crafster and I read some posts of yours in various places and you understand grace and love and the hugeness of God and how we can't get our mind around him and to be honest we shouldn't want to and wow do I appreciate you...

Lisa said...

Miss*Robyn, I love ya, too! Thank you for letting me know. :)

Me, thanks so much. I really appreciate the comment.